- Code ENGN3331
- Unit Value 6 units
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On successful completion of this course, students should have the skills and knowledge to:
- Demonstrate systematic understanding of system dynamics problems from various engineering domains.
- Solve multi-particle and rigid body dynamics problems using the Newton-Euler approach.
- Derive the equations of motion of mechanical, electrical and simple electromechanical systems using the Euler-Lagrange approach.
- Apply dynamic response analysis of mechanical or electrical oscillators to perform basic system identification.
- Analyse the properties of linear or nonlinear dynamic equations through computer simulation and make design recommendations based on dynamics simulation data.
Professional Skills Mapping:
Mapping of Learning Outcomes to Assessment and Professional Competencies
- Tutorials (40%);
- Hardware Labs (10%);
- Computer Labs (5%)
- Final exam (45%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadA standard workload of approximately 10 hours/week including the following formal contact hours: 30-36 one hour lectures, 6 x 2 hour tutorials, 1 x 3 hour hardware lab, 1 x 3 hour computer lab
Requisite and Incompatibility
Assumed KnowledgeCalculus - Integration and techniques of integration. Functions of several variables - visualisation, continuity, partial derivatives and directional derivatives.
Linear Algebra - theory and application of Euclidean vector spaces. Vector spaces: linear independence, bases and dimension; eigenvalues and eigenvectors; orthogonality and least squares."
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3077||25 Feb 2019||04 Mar 2019||31 Mar 2019||31 May 2019||In Person||N/A|