• Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
  • ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • Course subject Italian
  • Areas of interest European Languages, Language Studies
  • Academic career UGRD
  • Course convener
    • Dr Joshua Brown
  • Mode of delivery In Person
  • Co-taught Course
  • Offered in First Semester 2019
    See Future Offerings

This course develops students' language competence while extending students' knowledge of contemporary Italian culture and society through study of a selection of written texts and films. The course integrates written and multi-media materials to increase students' fluency and accuracy in oral and written forms, including recognition and ability to use appropriately idiomatic forms of the language within their cultural context. Active language production is encouraged in classroom situations, structured conversations and oral presentations. Class time is divided between interactive language work using information from the Italian media, focus and reflection on form, and analysis of written and audiovisual materials.

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
  1. Demonstrate their understanding of extended speech, including lectures in Italian, TV news, current affairs programs and films using a variety of registers and spoken Italian;
  2. Apply their clear grasp of the major aspects of Italian grammar and related linguistic terminology by identifying and producing complex linguistic structures orally and in writing;
  3. Demonstrate their command of a wide range of vocabulary, idioms and Italian gestures; phonetics and phonology of Italian; and
  4. Understand salient issues, events, figures and texts of Italian culture.

Indicative Assessment

2 written assignments (500 words 15% + 1000 words 25%, total 40%)[LOs 1,2,3,4]
2 oral presentations (10mins, recorded ,15% + 15 mins, recorded, 25%, total 40%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
1 in class test 50 min (20%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
 

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.

Workload

130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact in language classes over 12 weeks; and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.

Requisite and Incompatibility

To enrol in this course you must have completed ITAL2006 or ITAL6504, or have language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test. You are not able to enrol in this course if you have completed: ITAL2007, ITAL2008, ITAL6505, ITAL3506, or ITAL6506.

Minors

Fees

Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
1
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

Units EFTSL
6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee
2019 $3000
International fee paying students
Year Fee
2019 $4560
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

The list of offerings for future years is indicative only.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.

First Semester

Class number Class start date Last day to enrol Census date Class end date Mode Of Delivery Class Summary
4662 25 Feb 2019 04 Mar 2019 31 Mar 2019 31 May 2019 In Person View

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions