This course will focus on the frequently and rapidly changing framework of Skilled, Business Innovation and Investment migration to Australia. It is designed to enable students to understand the background to, and working mechanisms of, these highly complex, visa systems. The course looks at the boundaries and commonalities between skilled, business innovation and investment visa classes focusing on the requirements of the most common skilled visa subclasses and recently introduced new skilled, business innovation and investment visas. Students will be equipped with theory, practical knowledge and cognitive skills to enable them to further their careers as subject matter experts, specialist researchers and/or mentors of practicing professionals.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:By the conclusion of this course, it is expected that students who have successfully completed all of the course requirements should be able to:
- Develop and maintain comprehensive and current knowledge of the legislation, jurisprudence and policy surrounding skilled and business migration.
- Apply knowledge and skills to provide accurate and detailed advice to clients about their skilled and business innovation and investment migration opportunities
- Engage in theoretical and practical discourse about the factors and contexts that shape Australia Migration Law, policy and practice in the areas of skilled, business innovation and investment migration.
- Design and implement an independent, research based project in the areas of skilled, business innovation or investment migration law/policy/practice.
- Utilise advanced communication skills to advocate at a high level a coherent and sustained argument in a variety of settings and formats.
Other InformationFor more information and the timetable please go to Migration page on the ANU College of Law website
Indicative AssessmentIndicative assessment:
- Creation of specific tools for assessing migration applications 20%
- Client file case study – 50%
- Oral presentation – and peer review 30%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThis is an online course. Students will study online and are expected to devote 10-12 hours per week participating online in Live Classrooms on Adobe Connect, participating in group activities and in individual research and studying.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsAs Migration legislation changes so frequently the program does not recommend textbooks which can quickly become out of date. ANU E-texts written by the teaching staff are provided online.
These written course materials are updated each teaching session, to reflect the most recent changes in migration law. Reading guides, additional resources, self-help quizzes, and access to legislation are also provided.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.