- Code POGO8101
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Crawford School of Public Policy
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Policy and Governance
- Areas of interest Policy Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
What constitutes policy? When and why are policies made? What kinds of policies are made and how? This course lays out the framework of the policy process to facilitate understanding, evaluation, creation and reformulation of policies. It engages advocates, analysts, officers, stakeholders, and curious to establish clear arguments and stances. It also challenges each to go beyond their respective comfort zones to explore, develop, and document new skillsets for interacting with the others.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On successful satisfaction of the requirements of the course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Appraise and clarify how evaluative criteria distinguish “good” policies;
2. Differentiate and evaluate between policy typologies, policy-making stages, and policy-making models;
3. Develop and recommend improvement(s) to citizens’ participatory policymaking in the policymaking process for a policy area, clearly identifying and addressing the advantages, drawbacks, and tensions between participation, stakeholders, government, and policymaking;
4. Explain how the economy constrains policymaking;
and create a new policy-making model incorporating improvements to
citizens-participation in the policymaking process (this may be a prototype)
for a policy mandate that has ignited protests, taking care to engage multiple
stakeholders and participatory policymaking towards “good” policies or
1. Research-led paper on a policy area (eg., health, women’s participation, education) that differentiates and distinguishes subject content (30%) (1200-1500 words)
2. Experiential learning through role-play (10%) and paper (40%) on how to advance a policy interest through to adoption based on interaction with different stakeholders (total 50%) (3000-3750 words)
3. Final examination (20%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
5 hours equivalent
Key reading list provided plus specific readings for each session will be provided.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.