- Code SPAN3012
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course aims to extend the students' ability to communicate clearly and effectively both in spoken and written Spanish. The aim is to develop student capacity to use Spanish in unpredictable everyday situations and allow them to become independent learners. The course also introduces students to contemporary theatre and allows students to debate a wide variety of cultural and social issues in Spanish-speaking societies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Communicate effectively and confidently in novel situations such as discussions about cultural and social topics;
- Demonstrate extensive command of a wide range of complex grammatical structures and vocabulary, both orally and in writing;
- Participate actively in debates and present their points of view with precision;
- Reflect upon and express thoughts about cultural aspects of the Spanish-speaking world reflected in a variety of texts and theatre plays, in oral interaction and written production
- Negotiate task division and contribution in a team environment. Evaluate peers' contribution to the team task.
Indicative AssessmentIn-class test, 90 min (15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4]
Final examination, 150 min (25%) [Learning Outcomes 2, 3, 4]
Individual Oral Presentation, 10 min (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Collective Oral Presentations, 30 min (30%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Written assignment, 500 words (5%) [Learning Outcomes 2, 4]
Class performance and participation (5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3.5 hours of class per week, and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsTo be posted on Wattle.
Assumed KnowledgeStudents should have an assumed language proficiency equivalent to the successful completion of the continuing level in the Spanish major.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8508||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|