- Code ARTV2315
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
- Academic career UGRD
- Nadege Desgenetez
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
This is a project-based course that introduces the principles and processes for kiln forming and cold finishing of glass. Fused mosaic glass, slumped glass, pâte de verre (paste of glass), shaping and finishing are the skills and processes introduced. Set projects are aimed at developing the student's ability to work the material as well as integrate thematic ideas within students developing practice. Lectures and group discussions assist students to develop an informed understanding of artists and designers within the field as well as locate their developing works within the broader field of craft, design, and visual arts practice. The course is designed to accommodate learning for students with different levels of experience. Work health and safety (WHS) instruction is integrated throughout the syllabus.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- competently utilise a range of glass kiln forming processes and cold working techniques in response to set tasks and self-directed projects;
- critically reflect upon and independently explore processes introduced;
- investigate the relationships between contextual research and successfully apply this to material investigation; and
- demonstrate reflective awareness within the field of contemporary glass practice and links to other creative production relevant to the students developing practice.
Other InformationSchool of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
Indicative AssessmentPortfolio of studio work and visual journal (80%) Learning Outcomes 1-4
Contextual support material (10%) Learning Outcome 4
Studio theory presentation, 15 minutes, OR critique, 30 minutes (10%) Learning Outcome 4
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7769||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|