- Code ARTV6100
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
This course introduces students to the principles and practice of using text in their visual art practice. A variety of practical techniques are explored, conceptual issues are addressed.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the techniques, processes and equipment used in handset and computer typography;
- demonstrate a creative exploration of materials and alternative techniques;
- apply concepts and techniques to the development of resolved text based works; and
- show a critical awareness of historical, conceptual and theoretical contexts.
School of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
- Portfolio of Studio Work (60) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Documentation (Visual Diary and Oral Presentation) (10) [LO 2,4]
- Project Proposal (500 words) (10) [LO 4]
- Written Reflection (1500 words) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Paul Maravelas, Letterpress Printing: A Manual for Modern Fine Press Printers (Newcastle: Oak Knoll Press, 2005) [686.2 MAR]
Phil Baines: Type and Typography (UK: Libanus Press, 2005) [686.224 BAI]
Herbert Spencer (ed), The Liberated Page (San Francisco: Bedford Press, 1987)
Steven Heller & Mirko Ilic, Handwritten: Expressive Lettering in the Digital Age (UK: Thames & Hudson, 2006)
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7733||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|