- Code ITAL6505
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Italian
- Areas of interest European Languages, Language Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Joshua Brown
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
This course develops students' language competence while extending students' knowledge of contemporary Italian culture and society through study of a selection of written texts and films. The course integrates written and multi-media materials to increase students' fluency and accuracy in oral and written forms, including recognition and ability to use appropriately idiomatic forms of the language within their cultural context. Active language production is encouraged in classroom situations, structured conversations and oral presentations. Class time is divided between interactive language work using information from the Italian media, focus and reflection on form, and analysis of written and audiovisual materials.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate their understanding of extended speech, including lectures in Italian, TV news, current affairs programs and films using a variety of registers and spoken Italian;
- Apply their clear grasp of the major aspects of Italian grammar and related linguistic terminology by identifying and producing complex linguistic structures orally and in writing;
- Demonstrate their command of a wide range of vocabulary, idioms and Italian gestures; phonetics and phonology of Italian;
- Conduct, develop and synthesise research to compose clear, detailed and critical texts (oral and written) on a variety of subjects; and
- Analyse salient issues, events, figures and texts of Italian culture.
Indicative Assessment2 written research assignments (750 words 15% + 1500 words 25%, total 40%)[LOs 1,2,3,4,5,6]
2 oral presentations (10mins, recorded ,15% + 15 mins, recorded, 25%, total 40%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
1 in class test 50 min (20%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact in language classes: 3.5 hours per week over 12 weeks; and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2500||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||08 May 2020||05 Jun 2020||In Person||N/A|