- Code MUSI3313
- Unit Value 6 units
This course will introduce students to a range of source materials and will develop skills in the areas of disciplinary-specific methods and concepts. It will provide students an opportunity to complete an extended and focused piece of research on a musical topic. These topics can engage with a range of areas including current research projects of the school, collections held at national cultural institutions, and digital collections.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- apply research skills appropriate to their area of research, and understand the materials, critical, historical, and oral sources of music research;
- work independently with minimal supervision;
- analyse music from historical, contemporary, and cross-cultural contexts using sophisticated vocabulary and tools for speaking and writing critically about music; and
- identify and communicate outcomes to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Research proposal and bibliography, 1000 words (Note: Bibliography is not included in the word count) (15) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Research project oral presentation, 15-20 mins (Note: Presentations will be recorded) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Research Essay, 4000 words (65) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: a mixture of seminars and workshops; and,
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Music to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7641||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|