- Code SPAN3031
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Latin American Languages, Language Studies, Latin American Studies
This course aims to equip students to understand and use Spanish at an advanced level. Different topics related to Hispanic Linguistics are covered, to help students develop linguistic awareness and thereby enhance their oral, written and comprehension skills. Specific topics covered may vary from year to year.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- function effectively and confidently in Spanish in a variety of contexts;
- understand and use advanced grammatical structures when expressing themselves in oral and written form;
- conduct basic analyses of linguistic data;
- engage in discussions about cultural, social and linguistic aspects of the Hispanic world.
- 2 x in-class tests (50 min) (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- 2 x assignments (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- 2 x presentations (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Participation (reading questions and in-class activities) (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3.5 hours of class per week, and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsReadings to be posted on Wattle.
Assumed KnowledgeCompletion of SPAN3002, SPAN3012, SPAN3022 or equivalent level of language competency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|Spanish in contact with English around the world|
|4780||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||08 May 2020||05 Jun 2020||In Person||N/A|