- Code SPAN3031
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Latin American Languages, Language Studies, Latin American Studies
This course aims to equip students to understand and use Spanish at an advanced level. Different topics related to Hispanic Linguistics are covered, to help students develop linguistic awareness and thereby enhance their oral, written and comprehension skills. Specific topics covered may vary from year to year.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- function effectively and confidently in Spanish in a variety of contexts;
- understand and use advanced grammatical structures when expressing themselves in oral and written form;
- conduct basic analyses of linguistic data;
- engage in discussions about cultural, social and linguistic aspects of the Hispanic world.
- 2 x in-class tests (50 min) (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- 2 x assignments (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- 2 x presentations (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Participation (reading questions and in-class activities) (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3.5 hours of class per week, and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsReadings to be posted on Wattle.
Assumed KnowledgeCompletion of SPAN3002, SPAN3012, SPAN3022 or equivalent level of language competency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|Spanish in contact with English around the world|
|4780||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||08 May 2020||05 Jun 2020||In Person||N/A|