- Code SPAN6509
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Latin American Languages, Language Studies, Latin American Studies
This course aims to equip students to understand and use Spanish at an advanced level. Different topics related to Hispanic Linguistics are covered, to help students develop linguistic awareness and thereby enhance their oral, written and comprehension skills. Specific topics covered may vary from year to year. Students will apply linguistic theory across cultural, social and linguistic aspects of the Hispanic world.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- function effectively and confidently at an advanced level in Spanish in a variety of contexts;
- use advanced grammatical structures when expressing themselves in oral and written form, in casual, formal and academic contexts;
- conduct theory-informed analyses of linguistic data;
- lead discussions about cultural, social and linguistic aspects of the Hispanic world.
- conduct original research on topics related to cultural, social and linguistic aspects of the Hispanic world.
- 2 x in-class tests (50 min) (15% each = 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- Research project, made up of four parts (null) [LO null]
- -written abstract, 500 words, 10% (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- -presentation to class, 10 min, 10% (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- -written project report, 2000 words, 20% (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- -final presentation to class 10 min, 10% (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Participation (reading questions and in-class activities) (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3.5 hours of class per week, and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Readings to be posted on Wattle.
Assumed KnowledgeCompletion of SPAN6508, SPAN6022 or equivalent level of language competency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|Spanish in contact with English around the world|
|4781||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||31 Mar 2020||29 May 2020||In Person||N/A|