- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code ACHN-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Shengyu Fan
Standard Modern Chinese (Mandarin) is the official language of China and one of the world's major languages. As Australia's future is increasingly tied to the rise of China as a world power, the importance of Mandarin will continue to grow. Knowledge of Mandarin not only provides a means of understanding Chinese society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
The Advanced Chinese Language Minor is for students who already have a high level of competence in Mandarin. It deepens students’ knowledge and critical understanding of Chinese languages and cultures, continuing to improve their proficiency in reading and listening comprehension as well as oral and written expression. The courses included in this Advanced Minor allow students to examine in more detail cultural, social, and linguistic aspects of the Chinese – speaking world. This Advanced Minor is also designed for heritage students, or background learners, of Chinese.
- Express themselves confidently and accurately in polite and informal registers, in a style appropriate to the situation, contents, and audience;
- Read, comprehend and infer authors' meaning in newspapers, magazines, and literary texts;
- Engage with authentic media such as television news broadcasts, movies, short stories and novels by summarizing, analysing, evaluating and criticizing their content;
- Write texts in the appropriate genre, with correct grammatical structures and thematic vocabulary relevant to the level of the student;
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews.
Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language placement test to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a placement test should seek advice from the course or language convenor.
Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Asia and the Pacific (APASP)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 6 units from completion of the following course(s):
CHIN3023 Modern Chinese 6
CHIN3024 Advanced Modern Chinese A
CHIN3025 Advanced Modern Chinese B
CHST3211 Reading China: Past and Present
CHST3212 Reading Chinese Literature: Theory and Criticism
A maximum of 18 units from completion of the following course(s):
CHIN3022 Modern Chinese 5
CHIN3041 Case Studies in Translation: Chinese/English
CHIN3216 Chinese-English Interpreting
CHIN2019 Literary Chinese 1
CHIN2021 Literary Chinese 2
CHIN3015 Advanced Literary Chinese
CHIN2024 Cantonese 1
CHIN2025 Cantonese 2
CHIN3203 Cantonese 3Back to the top