- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code VIET-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Ms Hoang Ngoc Yen Le
Vietnamese is spoken by more than 90 million people in Vietnam. It is also the native language of nearly 4 million people residing overseas; it is the sixth most-spoken language in Australia. Study of Vietnamese will put students in a unique position to enter Vietnamese-speaking environment and to gain a deep understanding of its rich culture, friendly people, and vibrant society.
Vietnamese courses at the ANU equip students not only with the language skills but also with the cultural understanding necessary to engage with one of the most dynamic and fastest growing eonomies in Asia. Choosing to study Vietnamese can also lead to opportunities for enterprising and adventurous students to develop ties between the two nations as well as connections with members of the Viet diaspora in Australia and around the world.
Students in this minor can spend time studying at a spend time studying at a tertiary institution in Vietnam, through one of the several in-country courses on offer. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed, or a course that is a lower level than a course they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test and may be exempted from the compulsory course.
- Use an active vocabulary of around 2,000 items and a passive vocabulary of around 4,000 items.
- Recognise and use the main structures of semi-complex Vietnamese on various topics, including those related to oneâ€™s area of academic interest.
- Interact confidently, appropriately and with ease with native speakers on a wide range of subjects; compose clear and detailed texts on topics of general personal interest; and present viewpoints with clarity and coherence.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cultural communication practices and present-day social life in Vietnam.
Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language placement test to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a placement test should seek advice from the course or language convenor.
Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
International students who are studying all or part of their program on a student visa are advised that this minor is only available for online study. Under the Education Services for Overseas Student Act 2000 (ESOS Act), international students on a student visa cannot do more than 33% of their study online. International students interested in enrolling in these courses should contact the CAP Student Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org) for advice prior to enrolling.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from the completion of the following course(s):
VIET1002 - Vietnamese 1 (6 units)
VIET1003 - Vietnamese 2 (6 units)
VIET2002 - Vietnamese 3 (6 units)
VIET2003 - Vietnamese 4 (6 units)
VIET3002 - Vietnamese 5 (6 units)
VIET3003 - Vietnamese 6 (6 units)
VIET2525 - Learning Language Locally: Vietnam (12 units)
VIET3015 - Vietnamese-English Translation (6 units)
ASIA3083 - Research Topics in South and Southeast Asian Languages A (6 units)
ASIA3108 - Research Topics in South and Southeast Asian Languages B (6 units)Back to the top