- Code PORT2001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Portuguese
- Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Language Studies More...
This course builds on Introductory Portuguese II. It is designed to further develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in the Portuguese language at a more advanced level by reviewing and extending grammatical structures and vocabulary. Exposing students to authentic material (literary and non-literary texts, short movies, culture videos, etc.) in the target language will not only enhance students’ audio-visual, reading and writing skills, but also deepen intercultural knowledge and understanding of cultural practises and traditions in Portuguese speaking countries around the world.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate a wide knowledge of Portuguese grammar and lexicon;
- communicate effectively in Portuguese;
- analyse, extract, and use information from spoken and written Portuguese;
- write brief, coherent texts and descriptions; and
- demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of cultural practices specific to Portuguese societies in the world.
- Two exams, 50 mins (20% each) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Three written assignments, 600 words (10% each) (30) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- Oral exam, 20 min (20) [LO 1,2,3,5]
- Participation and performance (10) [LO 1,2,3,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up of:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsPrescribed texts will be listed on the Course Wattle site.
Areas of Interest
- European Languages
- International Relations
- Translation Studies
- Latin American Languages
- Language Studies
- Latin American Studies
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2770||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||N/A|