- Code STAT8057
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Statistics
- Areas of interest Actuarial Studies
This course involves on campus teaching. For students unable to come to campus there will be a remote option. See the Class Summary for more details.
This course introduces techniques for risk modelling, with an emphasis on application to insurance portfolios and financial risks.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of the requirements for this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the properties of loss distributions in a variety of contexts, and estimate individual and compound loss distributions, both with and without risk sharing arrangements.
- Describe and utilise extreme value distributions to model severity of loss.
- Describe and apply a variety of copulas to model financial risks.
- Explain the concepts underlying time series models, and apply the concepts to the modelling and forecasting of financial time series.
- Explain and apply principles of machine learning.
Indicative AssessmentTypical assessment may include, but is not restricted to: assignments and exams.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadStudents are expected to commit at least 10 hours per week to completing the work in this course. This will include at least 3 contact hours per week and up to 7 hours of private study time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.