- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Science Communication
- Minor code SCOM-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Will Grant
The Science Communication minor aims to complement studies in the traditional science disciplines.
Depending on the courses selected by the student, the minor can provide training in the presentation and writing of science for diverse audiences, analysis of science and technology issues in the context of the wider community, and research methods for investigating public perceptions of science.
This minor is a valuable adjunct for students wishing to enter scientific careers, because it enhances the communication skills and social awareness that are increasingly desired by science employers. These skills will strengthen your ability to:
- successfully apply for funding for your research,
- communicate aspects of your research with members of the public and your peers,
- research and understand public attitudes to your science, particularly in the context of ethical controversy and risk,
- communicate and apply your scientific knowledge to practical situations in socially appropriate ways,
- speak confidently at science conferences,
- talk to the media about your work, and
- advise governments on science policy issues such as technological development, healthy living and environmental sustainability.
This minor can also be a foundation for students considering pursuing careers as professional science communicator.
- Recognise the existence of diverse public attitudes to science, perceptions of science and definitions of science.
- Communicate science with diverse groups of people using different media.
- Undertake science communication research.
- Explain why science communication is valuable for scientists and society.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
24 units from the completion of courses from the following list:
SCOM1001 - Science Communication 1: Science and Public Awareness (6 units)
SCOM1002 - Science Communication 2: Scientific Evidence and Social Change (6 units)
SCOM2003 - Science in Popular Fiction (6 units)
SCOM2006 - Science and Humour (6 units)
SCOM2015 - Speaking of Science (6 units)
SCOM2016 - Science in the Media (6 units)
SCOM2031 - Science, Risk and Ethics (6 units)
SCOM3004 - Science Communication Internship (6 units)
SCOM3005 - Special Topics in Science Communication (6 units)
SCOM3007 - Science Communication Project Design and Delivery (6 units)
SCOM3012 - Science Communication and the Web (6 units)
SCOM3027 - Science Politics (6 units)
SCOM3029 - Cross Cultural Perspectives in Science Communication (6 units)
SCOM3030 - Science Dialogue Theory and Practice (6 units)
SCOM3032 - Making Modern Science (6 units)
SCOM3033 - Health Promotion Principles and Practice (6 units)
SCOM3501 - Strategies in Science Communication (6 units)Back to the top