- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Latin American Languages
- Specialisation code SPAN-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Manuel Delicado Cantero
ANU is Australia’s leading university in research and teaching of languages. Make the most of your opportunity to learn a new language, or extend your knowledge of a language you already know, while applying to this language the skills of analysis and description that you will master in your degree.
Specialists from the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences will equip you with critical language learning approaches and an in-depth understanding of the concepts of general linguistics and how to apply that knowledge. You will be taught by Hispanic Studies specialists, linguists and experts in oral, dramatic and textual arts.
This specialisation may advance your career in language-related and cross-cultural work in government and non-government organisations, language technologies or as an independent language practitioner or researcher.
- demonstrate general fluency in oral and written expression as well as in aural and reading comprehension, covering expression in different registers from everyday language use to academic language;
- express themselves orally and in writing in different genres;
- understand key aspects of culture, history, politics and society;
- demonstrate intercultural awareness, including critically comparing and reflecting on cross-cultural differences between Spanish-speaking and Australian cultures and/or their native culture; and
- conduct research on a topic related to Spanish and its associated cultures, and to write an essay on their research outcomes.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
SPAN6022 Intermediate Spanish II (Language and Linguistics) (6 units)
SPAN6501 Introduction to Spanish I (6 units)
SPAN6502 Introduction to Spanish II (6 units)
SPAN6503 Continuing Spanish I (6 units)
SPAN6504 Continuing Spanish II (6 units)
SPAN6507 Intermediate Spanish I (6 units)
SPAN6508 Intermediate Spanish II (Language and Culture) (6 units)
SPAN6509 Advanced Spanish Topics in Language and Linguistics (6 units)
SPAN6510 Advanced Spanish Topics in Language and Culture (6 units)
SPAN6511 Music and Society in the Spanish-Speaking World (6 units)
SPAN6514 The Structure of Spanish ( 6 units)
SPAN6517 Cinema from the Spanish-Speaking World (6 units)
SPAN6518 The Sounds of Spanish (6 units)
SPAN6604 Multilingualism and Indigenous Peoples in the Americas (6 units)
A maximum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list, which must be completed in a Spanish topic:
LANG6001 Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts (6 units)
LANG6002 Translation across Languages: Specialised Materials (6 units)
LANG8016 Translation Project (6 units)Back to the top