- Code ARTH4015
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Art History
- Areas of interest Art History, Museums and Collections
This internship with available arts cultural institutions in the ACT is a prestigious and demanding program, in which the internship convenor places Art History and Curatorship Honours students. The internship is designed to provide the student with practical insights into the activities and the workings of an art museum or art gallery. The specific nature of the contact work will depend on the requirements of the art museum specialist supervisor, who may include curators, research program managers, registrars, art educators and learning and access programmers. The internship aims to provide an opportunity for learning about the field in preparation towards an art museum career.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- participate in the workings of an arts and cultural institution in co-operation with specialist staff;
- engage with a specified art museum project related to collection management, interpretation, time management, and exhibition development;
- research behind and the acquisition of an art object for an arts and cultural institution, or research towards the development of a related exhibition or public program proposal; and
- compile a structured report on an acquisition or related project, in which a sustained research argument is developed, and communicate their report to an audience.
- Research Acquisition, Exhibition or Public Program Proposal: 2500 words (60) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Reflective journal on activities undertaken during this- semester, written up towards completion of the semester internship: 2500 words (40) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from a combination of supervisor meetings, attendance at internship placement and applied research and writing. The structure and delivery of contact hours is dependent on internship placement.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Thompson, John, (ed.), Manual of Curatorship: a guide to museum practice, Oxford, 1992 and later editions.
Rigg, Judith (ed.), Issues in curating Contemporary Art and Performance, Bristol, UK, 2007.
Schubert, Karsten, The Curator's Egg: the evolution of the museum concept from the French Revolution to the present day, One-Off Press, London, 2000
Completion of a cognate major.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2596||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||N/A|