- Code ECON3057
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Economics
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Economics
- Areas of interest Economics
This course involves on campus teaching. For students unable to come to campus there will be a remote option. See the Class Summary for more details.
Industrial Organisation studies the interdependence of market structures, firm's conducts, and market outcomes. In this course, students will be introduced to the theory of the firms, imperfect competition, oligopoly theory, and other strategic behaviours. Some applications on competition policy and regulation will also be introduced if time permits.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- This course provides an in-depth analysis of the theory of industrial organisation. Students will be introduced to the theory of the firms, imperfect competition, oligopoly theory, and other strategic behaviours. Upon successful completion of the requirements for this course, students will:
- - be familiar with and have an understanding of most familiar IO models;
- - understand the relationship between market outcomes, social welfare, and the conduct of firms;
- - be able address a range of policy issues that arise due to non-competitive behaviour in markets;
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
- Typically include a mid term exam and a final exam. Please see the Course Outline. (100) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours in total over the semester consisting of lectures, tutorials/workshops and private study time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
See Class Summary
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.