- Code GEND2023
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Gender Studies
- Areas of interest Gender Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course will develop students' understanding of concepts and theories of gender and sex, as well as examining the aims of feminist theory in general. The course will trace changes from the late 1960s to the present in the status of the categories of 'women', 'gender' and ‘sexuality’ as foundational concepts in Feminist Theory. Topics to be covered include: biological and cultural theories of sex and gender; feminist analyses of identity, power and sexuality, the relationship between gender and differences of race and class; feminist theory, postmodernism and postfeminism.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Students will develop:
- advanced understanding of debates about the foundational concepts of gender and sex in feminist theory
- familiarity with some of the key debates and texts in feminist theory
- an ability to critically analyse and understand theoretical texts
- improved skills of argumentation and exposition
The recommended assessment for this course is 3,000- 3,500 words of written work and tutorial participation.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of workshop and workshop-like activities, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
* Stacey, J. 'Feminist Theory: Capital F, Capital T' in V. Robinson & D. Richardson (eds) Introducing Women's Studies: Feminist Theory and Practice, MacMillan, 1997.
* Ang, I., 'I'm a Feminist But... Other Women and Postnational Feminism' in B. Caine and R. Pringle, (eds) Transitions: New Australian Feminisms, Allen & Unwin, 1995.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7331||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|