- Code IDEC8023
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Crawford School of Public Policy
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject International and Developmental Economics
- Areas of interest Econometrics
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Yixiao Zhou
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
This course is available for in-person and remote (online) learning.
In this course, students will produce a substantial and original piece of research work. This work will be structured with the goal of generating new knowledge while simultaneously aiding students in their ability to conduct and analyse research. The course will be built around recent empirical examples from applied econometrics and techniques in applied econometrics. These examples and the learning of the techniques will help increase students’ understanding of econometric technique and research practice. Building from these case studies, students will work in small research groups to first replicate and, more importantly, extend these case studies in novel ways.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Learn the strengths and weaknesses of various research methodologies in applied econometrics
- Critically analyse a series of case studies in applied economics
- Learn and develop practical research skills in applied econometrics
- Gain hands-on experience of conducting original research and analysis on a case study
- Conduct presentation and write a well-structured paper on the case study
- Online Quiz (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- Three in-class research presentations (10% each) (30) [LO 3,4]
- Research paper (4000-5000 words) (40) [LO 1,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The standard workload for a 6 unit course is 130 hours including class time and independent study.
No text. A reader of journal articles will be available.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.