- Code IDEC8023
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Crawford School of Public Policy
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject International and Developmental Economics
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Yixiao Zhou
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course is available for in-person and remote (online) learning.
In this course, students will produce a substantial and original piece of research work. This work will be structured with the goal of generating new knowledge while simultaneously aiding students in their ability to conduct and analyse research. The course will be built around recent empirical examples from applied econometrics. These examples will be used as case studies to increase students’ understanding of econometric technique and research practice. Building from these case studies, students will work in small research groups to first replicate and, more importantly, extend these case studies in novel ways.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Critically analysed a series of case studies in applied economics.
- Learned the strengths and weaknesses of various research methodologies in applied economics.
- Conducted original research and analysis on a case study.
- Written a well-structured paper on the case study, in the style suitable for an academic journal.
- Developed practical research skills in applied economics.
- Exam (30) [LO null]
- Presentations (10) [LO null]
- Research project (60) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Approximately 8-10 hours per week.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Crawford School of Public Policy to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
No text. A reader of journal articles will be available.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.