- Code LATN1102
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Latin
- Areas of interest Classics and Ancient History
This course introduces students to the study of classical Latin through a series of carefully graded readings in Latin literature and Roman history. As students work through these readings they are introduced to the fundamental principles that underpin the Latin language while acquiring a working vocabulary.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- recognize and translate around 50% of the morphological forms and grammatical structures found in Latin texts;
- read and translate at sight passages of Latin containing a limited range of grammatical structures and a basic foundational vocabulary; and
- read and translate a greater range of passages in Latin with the aid of a dictionary and/or grammatical reference.
- Progress Test (10) [LO 1,2]
- Mid-Semester Test (25) [LO 1,2]
- Homework Exercises (25) [LO 1,2,3]
- Final Examination (40) [LO 1,2]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact in language classes over 12 weeks, and
b) 82-hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Peter Jones and Keith Sidwell (eds), Reading Latin. 2nd edition. 2 vols. Volume 1: Text. Volume 2: Grammar and Exercises. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2016.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5064||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|