- Code LATN2121
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Latin
- Areas of interest Classics and Ancient History
This course continues the study of this key Classical language as students consolidate the basic elements covered in Continuing Latin, expand their working vocabulary, and are introduced to more advanced grammatical principles. Background information on Roman literature, culture and history is woven into the subject matter throughout the semester. Upon completion of the course, students should have sufficient expertise to read texts of moderate difficulty with assistance. Students who complete this course are eligible to progress to Intermediate Latin II.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- recognise and translate most morphological forms and grammatical structures found in Latin texts;
- read and translate at sight passages of Latin containing a broad range of grammatical structures and a limited range of vocabulary; and
- read and translate a range of passages in Latin with the aid of a dictionary and/or grammatical reference.
- Translation and Morphology Exercises, 1800 words (25) [LO 1,3]
- Vocabulary Tests, one hour total (10) [LO 1,3]
- 45-minute Mid-semester Test (15) [LO 1,2,3]
- Final Three-hour Examination (40) [LO 1,2,3]
- Class Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact in language classes over 12 weeks.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
N/A Minor Amendments Only
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.