- Code COMP1720
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Digital Arts, Information Technology, Design Arts, Advanced Computing, IT in New Media More...
This course will introduce design and coding in the context of New Media Arts and Interaction. Topics covered may include the nature of New Media Art, Interaction with New Media Art, program organisation, control structures, graphics and audio.
In terms of the modern art world, the computer is not just another medium, it is a whole other range of media. Students will design and experiment to construct interactive works of New Media Art. They will learn how to conceptualise, brainstorm, plan and realise an original interactive work of New Media Art.
The techniques used by computer professionals to visualise and present data are heavily influenced by techniques invented by artists and vice versa. Students will gain an appreciation of good visual and interactive design.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
After successful completion of COMP1720, students should be able to:
- Design, construct and debug small to medium-sized computer programs in a high-level programming language for New Media art.
- Have an appreciation of the artistic process in computer-based New Media.
- Be able to conceptualise, plan and execute an original and creative work of New Media art.
- To have an appreciation of visual and physical interaction at a New Media interface.
- Assignments (50%)
- Quizes (20%)
- Final Exam (30%)
Workload12 two-hour lectures, 12 one hour lectures and ten two-hour laboratory sessions. Naturally a considerable amount of self study making a total of about 130 hours for the whole course
Requisite and Incompatibility
Daniel Shiffman: Learning Processing - A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction (Morgan Kaufmann). ISBN-13: 9780123736024?
Areas of Interest
- Digital Arts
- Information Technology
- Design Arts
- Advanced Computing
- IT in New Media
- Creative Arts
- Sustainable Engineering
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7194||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|