- Code ENGN2217
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by RS Electrical, Energy and Materials Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Nicolo Malagutti
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
Course has been adjusted for remote participation in S1 2021 Some on-campus activities are available. Attendance at these where possible is encouraged
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
At the completion of this course it is desired that each student be able to:
1. Develop an understanding on the use the material data obtained from standard mechanical testing methods for structural design applications
2. Analyse the structural response behaviour by breaking the response of structure into axial, bending and torsional deformation modes
3. Design simple connections for use in structural mechanics
4. Develop an understanding of stress concentrations in structures
5. Analyse thermal behaviour of structural members
6. Develop a knowledge of combined loading behaviour in structural systems
7. Design and optimize the design of three dimensional frame structures using finite element analysis
8. Develop an understanding of experimental mechanics techniques through the use of strain gage measurements and photo elastic experiments
Mapping of Learning Outcomes to Assessment and Professional Competencies
1. Mastering engineering assignments – 15%
2. Individual Design Project – 15 %
3. Experimental mechanics laboratory report – 15%
4. Mid semester exam – 10%
5. Final Exam – 45%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload4 lectures week, 1 tutorial/week, 3 2 hour computer labs and 3 3 hour experimental mechanics lab - subject to reviewter
Requisite and Incompatibility
Mechanics of Materials - R.C Hibbeler, Seventh SI Edition
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2441||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|