- Code PHYS3101
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Physics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Physics
- Areas of interest Physics, Science
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Simon Haine
- Prof Joseph Hope
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
In 2023, this course is on campus with remote adjustments only for participants with unavoidable travel restrictions/visa delays.
This core third year physics course develops quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics will be generalised to a broad range of systems, from matter to photons. Topics covered will include foundations, symmetries, angular momentum, and the Lagrangian formulation of quantum mechanics. It also gives an introduction to many-body quantum mechanics, entanglement, bosons and fermions, occupation number notation, theory of open quantum systems, density matrices and master equations, dynamical calculations and approximations in quantum field theories, non-locality and reality and quantum measurement. This course is required for the physics major, the theoretical physics major, and is recommended for those intending to do the honours year in Physics.
Advanced Quantum Mechanics is offered as an Honours Pathway Course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Describe the basic Hilbert space structures describing all quantum field theories,
- Model physical systems using common approximation techniques for making dynamical calculations.
- Discuss the difficulties with the theory of quantum measurement and local realism.
- Critically analyse current candidates for a fully defined quantum theory.
- Apply modelling techniques to analyse recent results from experimental research.
- Assignments and online questions (35) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Two communication projects (20) [LO 4,5]
- Exam (45) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which may consist of 1 x 1 hour tutorial per week and a 1 x 3 hour workshop per week.
- Approximately 82 hours of self directed study which will include preparation for lectures, projects and other assessment tasks.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3685||20 Feb 2023||27 Feb 2023||31 Mar 2023||26 May 2023||In Person||N/A|