- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Major code THAI-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
<iframe width="420" height="235" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/75wPaCVxj80?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thai is the national and official language of Thailand and spoken by about 60 million people. The study of Thai is essential for anyone wishing to understand Thailand’s culture, society and long history. As Australia’s future is increasingly tied to the nations of Asia, the importance of Thai will continue to grow. Knowledge of the language is a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
Students in this major are encouraged to spend time studying at a tertiary institution in Thailand through a year of study in the Year in Asia program. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test and may be exempted from the compulsory course.
By the end of the Thai language major students should be able to:
- Express themselves well in a formal or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- Read and understand newspapers and other texts in Thai
- Engage with authentic Thai language media
- Write in Thai in the appropriate style using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Thai either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must include:
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
|THAI3008||Advanced Readings in Thai Language and Culture||6|
42 units from completion of the following course(s):
|ASIA2103||Language in Asia (L)||6|
|ASIA3006||Practical Assignment in Asia and the Pacific||6-12|
|BURM1002||Introduction to Burmese||6|
|INDN3004||Readings in Southeast Asian Culture||6|
|INDN3005||Advanced Readings in Southeast Asian Culture||6|
|THAI1004||Thai 1A: In-Country||6|
|THAI3006||Modern Thai Prose||6|
|THAI3012||Modern Thai Prose: In-Country||6|