- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code CHIN-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
This minor is principally designed for students who wish to achieve an intermediate level of proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing Modern Standard Chinese (Mandarin). It is also available for students who already have a basic or intermediate level of proficiency and who wish to acquire a higher level of proficiency. Mandarin is the official language of China and one of the world’s major languages. As Australia’s future is increasingly tied to the rise of China as a world power, the importance of Mandarin will continue to grow. Knowledge of Mandarin not only provides a means of understanding Chinese society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally. This minor is also designed for heritage students of Chinese (background learners). For heritage learners, relevant language courses recognized in the minor include advanced-level translation and readings courses (in Mandarin); Cantonese; and Classical Chinese.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test.
- Acquire practical understanding of the grammar, syntax and particles of Modern Standard Chinese.
- Acquire an intermediate (or advanced) level of proficiency in all four macro-skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Attain competence in applying theoretical knowledge of grammar and syntax to real examples.
- Attain knowledge of the social and cultural contexts necessary to understand Chinese texts.
- Develop the ability to work in cooperative groups on practical activities and to communicate findings to other course members.
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|CHIN1012||Modern Chinese 1A: Spoken Chinese||6|
|CHIN1013||Modern Chinese 1B: Written Chinese||6|
|CHIN2022||Modern Chinese 2A: Spoken Chinese||6|
|CHIN2023||Modern Chinese 2B: Written Chinese||6|
|CHIN3020||Modern Chinese 3||6|
|CHIN3021||Modern Chinese 4||6|
|CHIN3022||Modern Chinese 5||6|
|CHIN3023||Modern Chinese 6||6|
|CHIN3024||Modern Chinese 7||6|
|CHIN3025||Modern Chinese 8||6|
|CHIN3034||Readings in Chinese Society||6|
|CHIN3035||Readings in Chinese History||6|
|CHIN3041||Case Studies in Translation: Chinese/English||6|
|CHIN3042||Toolkit for Chinese Studies and Translation||6|
|CHIN3043||Rdgs in Taiwan Studies||6|
|CHIN3114||Classical Chinese Poetry||6|
|CHIN3211||Advanced Readings in Chinese A||6|
|CHIN3212||Advanced Readings in Chinese B||6|
|CHIN3214||Gender and Sexuality in Chinese Literature and Film||6|
|CHIN3220||Translating Chinese Literature: Pointing to the Moon||6|