- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code CHIN-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact AsPr Fengyuan Ji
In this minor students will learn to speak, listen to, read and write Standard Modern Chinese (Mandarin). Mandarin is the official language of China and one of the world's major languages. As Australia's future is increasingly tied to the rise of China as a world power, the importance of Mandarin will continue to grow. Knowledge of Mandarin not only provides a means of understanding Chinese society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
Students in this minor can spend time studying at a tertiary institution in the PRC or ROC, or other Mandarin – speaking areas. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7OSSV-NyDTo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Express themselves in spoken and written Standard Modern Chinese, with vocabularies appropriate to the context.
- Identify and use basic grammatical rules and practised sentence structures to conduct daily conversations, and to recognize and understand basic audio input.
- Communicate in writing and speaking on a limited range of everyday topics.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of common cultural communication practices.
Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language placement test to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a placement test should seek advice from the course or language convenor.
Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 18 units from the completion of courses from the following list:
CHIN1012 - Modern Chinese 1: Spoken (6 units)
CHIN1013 - Modern Chinese 1: Written (6 units)
CHIN2014 - Modern Chinese 3 (6 units)
CHIN2017 - Modern Chinese 4 (6 units)
CHIN2022 - Modern Chinese 2: Spoken (6 units)
CHIN2023 - Modern Chinese 2: Written (6 units)
CHIN2525 - Learning Language Locally: China (6-12 units)
CHIN3022 - Modern Chinese 5 (6 units)
CHIN3023 - Modern Chinese 6 (6 units)
A maximum of 6 units may come from the completion of courses from the following list:
CHIN2013 - Taiwanese (6 units)
CHIN2019 - Literary Chinese 1 (6 units)
CHIN2021 - Literary Chinese 2 (6 units)
CHIN2024 - Cantonese 1 (6 units)
CHIN2025 - Cantonese 2 (6 units)
CHIN3203 - Cantonese 3 (6 units)
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|CHIN1012||Modern Chinese 1: Spoken||6|
|CHIN1013||Modern Chinese 1: Written||6|
|CHIN2022||Modern Chinese 2: Spoken||6|
|CHIN2023||Modern Chinese 2: Written||6|
|CHIN 3020: Modern Chinese 3|
|CHIN 3021: Modern Chinese 4|
|CHIN3022||Modern Chinese 5||6|
|CHIN3023||Modern Chinese 6||6|
|CHIN3024||Advanced Modern Chinese A||6|
|CHIN3025||Advanced Modern Chinese B||6|
|CHIN 3034: Chinese Society|
|CHIN 3035: Chinese History|
|CHIN 3042: Toolkit|
|CHIN 3043: Readings in Taiwan Studies|
|CHIN 3114: Classical Chin Poetry|
|CHIN 3201: Cantonese A|
|CHIN 3202: Cantonese B|
|CHIN 3211: Advanced Readings in Chinese A|
|CHIN 3212: Advanced Readings in Chinese B|
|CHIN 3214: Gender & Sex: Chin Lit & Film|
|CHIN 3220: Translating Chinese Literature|