- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code CHIN-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
In this minor students will learn to speak, listen to, read and write Standard Modern Chinese (Mandarin). Mandarin is the official language of China and one of the world's major languages. As Australia's future is increasingly tied to the rise of China as a world power, the importance of Mandarin will continue to grow. Knowledge of Mandarin not only provides a means of understanding Chinese society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
Students in this minor can spend time studying at a tertiary institution in the PRC or ROC, or other Mandarin – speaking areas. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7OSSV-NyDTo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this minor, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Advanced Beginner level of Standard Modern Chinese to:
1. Express themselves in spoken and written Standard Modern Chinese, with vocabularies appropriate to the context.
2. Identify and use basic grammatical rules and practised sentence structures to conduct daily conversations, and to recognize and understand basic audio input.
3. Communicate in writing and speaking on a limited range of everyday topics.
4. Demonstrate a basic understanding of common cultural communication practices.
A student may not take a course that is a prerequisite or a lower level than a course which they have already passed.
Students that are commencing language studies who have prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test before enrolling for the first time. Students will not be permitted to enrol in a course at a lower than the level they achieve in the placement test, and may be exempted from compulsory courses.
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (Year in Asia) (BAPYA)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Pacific Studies (BPAST)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 18 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|CHIN1012||Modern Chinese 1: Spoken||6|
|CHIN1013||Modern Chinese 1: Written||6|
|CHIN2023||Modern Chinese 2: Written||6|
|CHIN2022||Modern Chinese 2: Spoken||6|
|CHIN2014||Modern Chinese 3||6|
|CHIN2017||Modern Chinese 4||6|
|CHIN3022||Modern Chinese 5||6|
|CHIN3023||Modern Chinese 6||6|
|CHIN2525||Learning Language Locally: China||6-12|
A maximum of 6 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|CHIN2019||Literary Chinese 1||6|
|CHIN2021||Literary Chinese 2||6|