- Code GERM1022
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Louise Jansen
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
In this introductory course students continue to develop basic listening and reading comprehension, as well as oral and written German communication skills. The course furthermore provides an introduction to basic German grammar and training in language learning strategies. Students are introducted to life and culture of the German-speaking societies and principles of intercultural communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Communicate in simple spoken German about topics covered in the course. This will include engaging in a simple conversation of predictable content.
- Listen for gist to more complex and/or more rapidly spoken German.
- Communicate in simple written German about topics covered in the course. This will include reading and writing about personal details and other topics covered in the course.
- Read for gist texts written in more complex German.
- Demonstrate knowledge about aspects of life and culture of the German speaking societies
- Demonstrate awareness of principles of intercultural communication.
This course has continuous assessment to provide students with regular feedback on their learning progress.
Five tests (65%) – 1 hr each, in class - Learning outcomes (2), (3), (4), (5), (6)
Two written assignments (10%) 200 words each, not in class - Learning outcomes (3), (5), (6)
One written communication task (15%) 1 hr, in class - Learning outcomes (3), (5), (6)
One oral examination task (10%) 10 minutes, in class - Learning outcomes (1), (6)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
4 weekly contact hours, plus 6 hours of regular work per week outside class.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Kontakte: Textbook and Arbeitsbuch. Sixth Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2009. A no-frills custom copy, compiled by the Coordinator, is available from the Coop Bookshop. Accompanying audio, video and interactive CD's are available from short loan in the Chifley library.
Students should have an assumed language proficiency equivalent to the successful completion of GERM1021.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7213||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|