- Code GERM1022
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest European Languages, European Studies, Language Studies
In this second introductory course students continue to develop basic listening and reading comprehension, as well as oral and written German communication skills, including culturally appropriate language use. The course continues to provide an introduction to basic German grammar and training in language learning strategies. Students are introduced to further aspects of life and culture of the German-speaking societies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- engage in simple communication of predictable content in spoken and written German about topics covered in the course, such as home and travel.
- read and listen for gist in more complex and/or more rapidly spoken German.
- facilitate and reflect on their learning, e. g. by applying language learning strategies and responding to feedback.
- demonstrate an understanding of further aspects of life and culture of the German speaking societies, including basic principles of culturally appropriate German language use.
- demonstrate development in some generic skills, e. g. critical thinking, written and oral communication, teamwork.
Indicative AssessmentFour in-class tests, 50 min each (50%) [Learning Outcomes 1,2,3,4,5]
Two written assignments, 200 words each (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1,3,4,5]
One in-class oral examination, 10 min (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1,3,4,5]
One final examination, 2 hrs (30%) [Learning Outcomes 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 4 hours of class per week, and
b) 82 hours of independent student learning.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Kontakte: Textbook and Arbeitsbuch. 8th Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2009. A no-frills custom copy, compiled by the Coordinator, is available from the Coop Bookshop. Accompanying audio, video and interactive CD's are available from short loan in the Chifley library.
Students should have an assumed language proficiency equivalent to the successful completion of GERM1021.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7179||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|