- Code GERM1022
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest European Languages, European Studies, Language Studies
In this second introductory course students continue to develop basic listening and reading comprehension, as well as oral and written German communication skills, including culturally appropriate language use. The course continues to provide an introduction to basic German grammar and training in language learning strategies. Students are introduced to further aspects of life and culture of the German-speaking societies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- engage in simple communication of predictable content in spoken and written German about topics covered in the course, such as home and travel;
- read and listen for gist in more complex and/or more rapidly spoken German;
- facilitate and reflect on their learning, e. g. by applying language learning strategies and responding to feedback;
- demonstrate an understanding of further aspects of life and culture of the German speaking societies, including basic principles of culturally appropriate German language use; and
- demonstrate development in some generic skills, e. g. critical thinking, written and oral communication, teamwork.
- Four In-class tests ( 1 hour each) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Written assignments, (200 words each) (20) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- Oral examinations (10 minutes) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Homework (10) [LO 3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities, and
b) 82 hours of independent student learning.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Grenzenlos Deutsch: an open-access curriculum for beginning German
Students should have an assumed language proficiency equivalent to the successful completion of GERM1021.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5097||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|