• Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
  • ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • Course subject Spanish
  • Areas of interest European Languages

The subject will analyse in depth a series of current affairs in Spain and Latin America, as well as the impact of world current affairs on the Spanish-speaking world. A set of current and historical topics and their social and historical contexts will be analysed. The approach will be thematic rather than chronological, but within each topic, a chronology of events needed to understand the present will be explored. Throughout the course students will analyse radio and TV news, as well as material drawn from the Spanish-speaking press. An mp3 player with relevant interviews and radio programs on the genres or artists studied through the course will be lent to students.

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
  1. Obtain and summarise relevant information from extended sequences of spoken Spanish (including radio programs, radio documentaries and lectures)
  2. Analyse news as cultural and historical texts, using, integrating and applying the relevant historical, ethnographic, political and sociological information contained in the course materials and other sources.
  3. Present and discuss current affairs topics in oral and written form.
  4. Examine and understand the accent, vocabulary and grammar of different Spanish varieties as reflected in TV and radio programs.
  5. Research, select, combine and integrate information relevant to a Spanish current affairs topic and its socio-historical context, and present it in a coherent fashion.

Indicative Assessment

Two examinations, 2 hours each (15% and 32.5%  for a total of 47.5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Written assignment, 500-750 words (7.5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Tutorial work (including online work), 500-750 words (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Oral presentation, 15min (15%) [Learning Outcomes 2,3,5]
Class performance and participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.

Workload

130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3 class hours per week, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.

Requisite and Incompatibility

To enrol in this course you must have successfully completed SPAN2002 or have equivalent level of language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test.You are not able to enrol in this course if you have previously completed SPAN6513.

Majors

Minors

Fees

Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
1
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

Units EFTSL
6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee
2018 $2820
International fee paying students
Year Fee
2018 $4320
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

The list of offerings for future years is indicative only.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.

First Semester

Class number Class start date Last day to enrol Census date Class end date Mode Of Delivery Class Summary
4329 25 Feb 2019 04 Mar 2019 31 Mar 2019 31 May 2019 In Person View

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions