- Code SPAN3100
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
The subject will analyse in depth a series of current affairs in Spain and Latin America, as well as the impact of world current affairs on the Spanish-speaking world. A set of current and historical topics and their social and historical contexts will be analysed. The approach will be thematic rather than chronological, but within each topic, a chronology of events needed to understand the present will be explored. Throughout the course students will analyse radio and TV news, as well as material drawn from the Spanish-speaking press. An mp3 player with relevant interviews and radio programs on the genres or artists studied through the course will be lent to students.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Obtain and summarise relevant information from extended sequences of spoken Spanish (including radio programs, radio documentaries and lectures)
- Analyse news as cultural and historical texts, using, integrating and applying the relevant historical, ethnographic, political and sociological information contained in the course materials and other sources.
- Present and discuss current affairs topics in oral and written form.
- Examine and understand the accent, vocabulary and grammar of different Spanish varieties as reflected in TV and radio programs.
- Research, select, combine and integrate information relevant to a Spanish current affairs topic and its socio-historical context, and present it in a coherent fashion.
Indicative AssessmentTwo examinations, 2 hours each (15% and 32.5% for a total of 47.5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Written assignment, 500-750 words (7.5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Tutorial work (including online work), 500-750 words (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Oral presentation, 15min (15%) [Learning Outcomes 2,3,5]
Class performance and participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3 class hours per week, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4167||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||Online||View|