- Code PERS3005
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Persian
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, Language Studies
This course builds on the Introductory and Intermediate levels of Persian language. This subject will develop the full range of linguistic skills in Persian such as the capacity to use idiomatic and conversational forms and to use them freely in speech; proficiency in written structures of moderate to advanced complexity and the capacity to use such structures clearly and accurately; interpreting messages of a medium level of complexity occurring in a variety of audio-visual media and individual and group spoken forms. Students should become conversant in some aspects of advanced Persian syntax and morphology, the historical development of Persian language and literature up to the modern period including examples of literary writing in the modern period, and translation of texts of moderate difficulty from Persian to English and English to Persian.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate competency in understanding factual material on concrete and abstract topics, while using knowledge of linguistic and cultural context to understand current social and political situations.
- Demonstrate command of grammar, pronunciation, and intonation accurately in all social contexts with minimal difficulty to satisfy social and informational demands.
- Demonstrate ability to write and translate texts of moderate difficulty between Persian and English (bi-directional) with good control of correct morphology, syntactical structures, punctuation, and in a legible and stylistically correct handwriting.
- Comprehend and participate in conversations on personal, social, and some limited abstract and academic topics at upper-intermediate and advanced levels.
Other InformationThis course may be taken either on-campus or online. Both Modes of Delivery provide equivalent training in the Persian language for all language skills and have an equivalent workload. On-campus ANU students will normally enrol in the on-campus mode of delivery but may also enrol online (subject to visa requirements); students from other universities around Australia or internationally may elect to enrol cross-institutionally in the online course.
Indicative AssessmentOn-Campus Mode of Delivery:
Weekly Assignments, 150 words each (10%) [LO 1, 2]
Two Quizzes (10% each for a total of 20%) [LO 1, 2, 3]
Mid-semester written test, 1 hour (20%) [LO 2,3]
Participation (10%) [LO 1, 4]
Exam, 2 hours (10% oral and 30% written for a total of 40%) [LO 1, 2, 3, 4]
Online Mode of Delivery:
Weekly Written Assessment, 150 words each (30%) [LO 1,2]
Participation (10%) [LO 1,2,4]
Two oral assessment, 5 mins (15% each for a total of 30%) [LO 1, 2, 4]
Final Exam, 2 hours (30%) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadIn Person - 130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 60 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 48 hours of lectures and language classes; and b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing. Online - 130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: made up of online seminars, language classes and structured activities; and b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
To be advised on the course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.