- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Major code CHIN-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact AsPr Fengyuan Ji
In this major students will learn to speak, listen to, read and write Standard Modern Chinese (Mandarin). Mandarin is the official language of China and one of the world's major languages. As Australia's future is increasingly tied to the rise of China as a world power, the importance of Mandarin will continue to grow. Knowledge of Mandarin not only provides a means of understanding Chinese society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally. This major is also designed for heritage and background speakers. For heritage learners, relevant language courses recognized in the major include advanced-level translation and readings courses (in Mandarin); Cantonese; and Literary Chinese.
Students in this major are encouraged to spend time studying at a tertiary institution in the PRC or ROC, or other Mandarin – speaking areas. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7OSSV-NyDTo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Express themselves confidently in spoken and written Standard Modern Chinese in informal and formal registers of the language, with vocabularies appropriate to the context.
- Identify and use advanced grammatical rules and complicated sentence structures relevant to a range of conversational situations and texts;
- Communicate spontaneously and with confidence in writing and speaking on a range of intellectually and linguistically challenging topics.
- Analyse aspects of contemporary Chinese culture, society and politics.
Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language placement test to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a placement test should seek advice from the course or language convenor.
Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must include:
6 units from the completion of the following course(s):
CHIN3023 - Modern Chinese 6 (6 units)
A minimum of 30 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
CHIN1012 - Modern Chinese 1: Spoken (6 units)
CHIN1013 - Modern Chinese 1: Written (6 units)
CHIN2022 - Modern Chinese 2: Spoken (6 units)
CHIN2023 - Modern Chinese 2: Written (6 units)
CHIN2014 - Modern Chinese 3 (6 units)
CHIN2017 - Modern Chinese 4 (6 units)
CHIN2525 - Learning Language Locally: China (12 units)
CHIN3022 - Modern Chinese 5 (6 units)
CHIN3024 - Advanced Modern Chinese A (6 units)
CHIN3025 - Advanced Modern Chinese B (6 units)
CHIN3041 - Chinese-English Translation (6 units)
CHIN3216 - Chinese-English Interpreting (6 units)
CHST3211 - Reading China: Past and Present (6 units)
CHST3212 - Reading Chinese Literature: Theory and Criticism (6 units)
A maximum of 12 units from the completion of the following list:
CHIN2019 - Literary Chinese 1 (6 units)
CHIN2021 - Literary Chinese 2 (6 units)
CHIN3015 - Advanced Literary Chinese (6 units)
CHIN2013 - Taiwanese (Southern Min) (6 units)
CHIN2024 - Cantonese 1 (6 units)
CHIN2025 - Cantonese 2 (6 units)
CHIN3203 - Cantonese 3 (6 units)
ASIA2103 - Language in Asia and the Pacific (L) (6 units)
ASIA2100 - Linguistic Histories in Asia and the Pacific (L) (6 units)
ASIA2098 - Asian and Pacific Studies Internship (12 units)
Back to the top