- Code GREK6125
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Greek
- Areas of interest Classics and Ancient History
This course offers students the chance to explore the literary, historical and cultural contexts of Ancient Greece though the close study of a text or series of texts read in the original Greek. Each iteration of the course is designed around a single author, genre, or theme. There will be further tuition in and revision of the grammar and syntax of Ancient Greek.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- read significant passages of the ancient Greek text(s) studied in class with the aid of a dictionary and a commentary, and read passages from the same author(s) at sight with some vocabulary glossed;
- demonstrate knowledge of specific grammatical concepts and core vocabulary relevant to the text(s);
- demonstrate an understanding of the author(s)' literary style, compositional approach and/or rhetorical effects;
- discuss the literary, historical and cultural contexts of the text(s) studied; and
- demonstrate an understanding of scholarly approaches to the author(s), text(s) or genre(s) studied.
Other InformationStudents may enrol in this course more than once. This course is repeatable for credit, up to a maximum of 42 units, and if repeated must be repeated with a different topic each time.
- Exercises (1000 words) (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Essay (2500 words) (25) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Literature review (1000 words) (10) [LO 5]
- 45-minute mid-semester test (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Final three-hour exam (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact in language classes over 12 weeks.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
The prescribed text(s) will be announced at least one semester before the course is offered.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2516||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||View|