- Code PORT6502
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Portuguese
- Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
This course builds on Introductory Portuguese I, and develops further the students' reading, writing and conversational skills at an advanced beginner's level with Portuguese as the medium of instruction. Teaching is based on a communicative approach to language learning simulating real-life situations in the classroom and beyond. The course also continues to introduce and expands on cultural aspects and traditional knowledge related the Portuguese speaking world through the language classes.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate functional knowledge of Portuguese grammar and lexicon;
- discuss a variety of topics confidently in Portuguese;
- read and understand literary and non-literary texts;
- write descriptive texts and short essays using appropriate vocabulary and grammatical structures; and
- show good understanding of cultural and traditional practices specific to Portuguese societies in the world.
- 1 in-class essay, 50 min (approx. 275 words) (25) [LO 1,2,3]
- 1 mid-semester test, 50 min (20) [LO 1,3,4]
- 1 end-of-semester test, 50 min (25) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 1 oral exam, 15 min (20) [LO 1,2,4,5]
- Performance and participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up of:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsPrescribed texts will be listed on the Course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.