- Code ENGN4820
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Areas of interest Engineering, Mechatronics, Electronics, Materials, Mechanical More...
- Academic career UGRD
- Prof Yuerui Lu
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Describe the fundamental working principle of bio-molecule sensing/sensors, and applying this knowledge to design solutions to probe biomedical and biology systems.
- Use point fabrication procedures in practical process integration.
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of the fundamental principles of nanotechnology and their application to biomedical engineering.
- Analyse the fabrication of microfluidic devices, surface functionalization and the limitations of surface micromachining.
- Evaluate and employ electrical measurements for MEMS mechanical structure characterization, understanding possible problems encountered in livingsystems.
- Apply research principles, methods and theoretical concepts to execute research or design projects related to practical applications of MEMS/NEMS technology.
Professional Skills Mapping
- Report (40%); (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
- Research Project (10%); (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
- Seminar Presentation (10%); (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
- Final Exam (40%) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours per semester consisting of the following activities each week:
- 1.5 hours lectures
- 1.5 hours tutorial
- 7 hours of pre-reading and self-directed study
Requisite and Incompatibility
Chang Liu, “Foundations of MEMS,” 2nd Edition, 2011, Prentice Hall, ISBN: 978-0132497367
Tai-Ran Hsu, “MEMS & Microsystems: Design, Manufacture, and Nanoscale Engineering,” 2nd edition, Wiley, 2008, ISBN: 978-0470083017
Assumed KnowledgeUnderstand basic semiconductor device concepts and terminology; understand basic concepts of bio-molecules, solid state physics, surface chemistry and mechanics.
Areas of Interest
- Biomedical Science
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5620||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|